Raw Hazelnut Milk

May 20, 2012

Raw Hazelnut Milk

I didn't think making raw nut milk would be so much fun. It's even more exciting when I think of the sweet treats I make with the leftover pulp. After enjoying almond milk for several days I went on and tried the hazelnut version, only that this time I used the nuts whole, with their skin on. The hazelnut milk turned out amazing (rawmazing, as raw foodists say). I could not imagine a better colour for nut milk - a gorgeous, velvety, pale beige that instantly makes your mouth water (sadly, only partially captured in the pictures due to my lack of professional photography skills).

I pretty much followed the Raw Almond Milk recipe that I posted earlier (click the link for full instructions). This time I used 200 g organic hazelnuts and 5 cups water instead of 6 (1 cup = 250 ml). 100 g dried hazelnuts = 1 cup soaked. I made it in two batches.

Raw Hazelnut Milk

This hazelnut milk has a creamy, smooth, almost velvety texture and is very delicious even unsweetened. 200 g hazelnuts yield 1.2 litres milk and almost 2 cups lightly packed pulp. Surprisingly it didn't separate, only a fatty layer formed on top (a little shake mixes it all together). It kept for 4 days in the fridge.

A healthy milk that's very easy to make and absolutely delicious. Its delicate flavour makes it perfect for smoothies. I used the pulp to make these pretty little Coconut Hazelnut Balls - a great treat, very simple to make and highly nutritious.

Hazelnuts (or filberts) make an excellent snack. They are a great source of protein and fiber, have zero cholesterol and sodium, and the highest amount of folate of all nuts. Like almonds, they are low in saturated fats and high in heart-healthy monounsaturated fats. Hazelnuts are a great source of minerals and vitamins, especially vitamin E, thiamin, manganese, copper, magnesium, iron and calcium.

Enjoy and spread the magic!:)


I put a lot of time, effort and passion into each recipe I post. My greatest satisfaction comes from your feedback. If you made this recipe, please take a minute of your time to leave a comment below. And if you like it, please share it so that others have access to it as well. Thank you all in advance!

8 comments:

Sarah

although i've made almond milk quite a few times, i wasn't really sure if you could "milk" hazelnuts as well. your post gave me confidence to try making it. thank you! especially since i like the taste of hazelnuts better than the subtle taste of almonds in almond milk :P

Vegan Magic

Hi Sarah, thank you so much for your kind words. I too prefer the taste of hazelnuts. You could save the leftover pulp for later and make the coconut hazelnut balls in the other post, they are amazing!

Anonymous

Just made my first hazelnut milk and am enjoying it as hot cocoa. Thanks for the recipe. Going to adapt your Chocolate Balls recipe as a use for the pulp since I don't like coconut.
Thanks!

Vegan Magic

@Anonymous: I'm so happy to know that you enjoyed the hazelnut milk. Homemade is so much better than store-bought, isn't it?:) And really easy to make. For the chocolate balls, you could just roll them in ground hazelnuts/almonds or cocoa powder. Thank you kindly for the feedback, I appreciate it:)

Anonymous

Really enjoyed your post! I've been looking for unsweetened hazelnut milk in store but with no luck so far. Am thinking of making it on my own...but just wondering how do you calculate the calories of this homemade hazelnut milk? Many thanks.

Vegan Magic

Thank you so much for your comment, I hope you enjoy the hazelnut milk when you try it. I wondered the same when I made it and was unable to find a definite answer online, I guess because it depends on how much water is used and how much pulp remains. I assume the milk would still have much less calories than the pulp. 100 g hazelnuts have about 600 calories and make 600 ml milk following this recipe. Let's say half of the calories are transferred to the milk, that would be 300 cal/600 ml. If say 200 ml = 1 serving, that would be 100 calories per serving.

Diana

I found your site while searching for organic nut milk recipes, as the store brands leave a lot to be desired. That's all I wanted, but once I got here, I couldn't escape! The reason I’m commenting before I even make any of your wonderful recipes is because I noticed your reference to your “lack of professional photography skills.” Well, I think your food styling and the shots you take are not only pro-quality, but there’s something about them that will have me drooling on my keyboard in a minute if I don’t stop looking . . . and I’m not even a vegan!

Vegan Magic

Diana, thank you so much for your encouraging words, they mean a lot to me. I guess I am my own critic and although I did learn a few photography tricks since I started this blog there's still room for improvement. I'm very happy you have found some inspiration on my blog and hope that you enjoy everything you try:)

Previous Next Home