Aloo Baingan (Potato Eggplant Curry)

May 13, 2012

Aloo Baingan

Aloo Baingan is a popular North Indian dish of potatoes and eggplant cooked in a rich, spicy tomato gravy and served with different kinds of Indian bread (my favourite being parathas). This curry can have a dry or liquidy consistency and the taste can range from mild to very hot. I had aloo baingan only once and have been dreaming of making it ever since. I opted here for a thick, mildly spicy gravy and added red bell pepper for sweetness. To save time I cooked the potatoes separately. The curry is absolutely delicious, with tender vegetables infused with aromatic spices that leave a wonderful aftertaste.

Aloo Baingan

Eggplant/Tomato Gravy
  • 1 Tb olive oil
  • 1 medium eggplant, cut in half lengthwise, then sliced into 1 - 1.5cm pieces
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
  • 1/2 - 3/4 cup canned chopped tomatoes
  • salt to taste
  • black pepper to taste

Heat the oil in a non-stick pan on medium. Add the eggplant, a little salt and cook for a few minutes on both sides until it turns slightly dark and starts to soften. Add tomatoes, water, season with salt and pepper and cook covered for a few minutes until the fresh tomatoes are soft.

Aloo Baingan

Potato/Red Bell Pepper
  • 2 Tb olive oil
  • 1 tsp black mustard seeds
  • 1 tsp cumin seeds
  • 3 garlic cloves, grated or minced
  • 1 piece ginger, grated (about 1 1/2 tsp)
  • 1 large onion, finely chopped
  • 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and cut into rings (1 cm thick)
  • 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 4 wedges (you can also cut them into cubes)
  • 2 cups water

Spices
  • 1 tsp coriander powder
  • 1 tsp curry powder
  • 1/2 tsp garam masala
  • 1/4 tsp turmeric
  • pinch of asafoetida

Heat the oil in a pan on medium. Add the mustard and cumin seeds, cover and let them splatter. Add garlic and ginger and sauté for a few minutes until fragrant. Add the onion, a pinch of salt to help it soften faster, and cook covered for a few minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add the red pepper rings and sauté for a few minutes. Add the potato wedges and cook covered for another few minutes, turning them around from time to time. Finally add the water, enough to almost cover the potatoes, the spices and cook covered for 10-15 minutes until the potatoes are tender but not easily breakable and the liquid has reduced.

Add the eggplant/tomato gravy and cook together for a further 10 minutes. Taste and add more salt if needed. If the curry is thick enough, keep the lid on for the last minutes. If it's still liquidy, keep it uncovered until it has the right consistency.

It might seem like a lot of work, but this curry couldn't be easier to make. Garnish with chopped parsley or coriander and serve.

Enjoy and spread the magic!:)


A lot of time, effort and passion goes into each recipe I post. My greatest satisfaction comes from your feedback. If you made this recipe, please take a minute of your time to leave a comment below. And if you like it, please share it so that others have access to it as well. Thank you all in advance!

14 comments:

Anonymous

Making this tonight, I'll let ya know how the family likes it :) looks phenomenal!

Vegan Magic

I'm so happy you chose to make this curry, it is so delicious:) I hope everyone enjoys it. Thank you for the comment, I look forward to your feedback:)

Anonymous

It was SO good! Sorry for the delayed response :). Thank you so much for a fantastic recipe, it is now going to be a regular dinner in this house!

Vegan Magic

Many thanks for the feedback:) I am thrilled that you enjoyed it. I will post more Indian curries, hope you like them just as much:)

Anonymous

I just finished cooking it: YUM! Thank you for the recipe!

Vegan Magic

That's wonderful, thank you so much for the feedback, I'm delighted that you enjoyed it:) I hope you'll try the other curries on my blog, they are super delicious too:)

Anonymous

Loved this dish. Hubby, who is not a huge fan of spices, also loved it. We both agreed that the mix of spices worked together and wasn't too overpowering. Really well explained at each step as well. Thanks for this great vegan dish!

Vegan Magic

I greatly appreciate your feedback, thank you so much for taking the time to write. Knowing that my recipes are enjoyed is the greatest satisfaction I get from blogging:) I know a few people who are not fond of certain spices, but when properly combined in great dishes they love them:) I guess we just need to find that perfect balance.

Molly

Made this tonight and it was delicious! Did not have all the spices and it was still great. Great, warming fall dish. Thanks for sharing!

Vegan Magic

Molly, thank you for giving it a try and for the feedback. It looks like this curry is becoming more and more popular, I'm really happy about that:) I hope you'll enjoy the other curries on the blog as well:)

Anonymous

Just finished making this dish. One word! Awesome! Thanks for the recipe. I'm a big fan of spices and some of your other recipes. Thanks again!

Vegan Magic

That's fantastic news!:) I'm a big fan of spices too and love to experiment with new dishes. Thank you so much for trying this curry, I deeply appreciate your feedback:)

Anonymous

My family, including my 2- and 4-year-old, loves this dish. It is now a standby for me. Bonus: it freezes quite well, and there is always enough for a whole extra meal. Thank you!

Vegan Magic

Thanks so much for this great news!:) I'm very happy the kids love this dish. Happy cooking and eating!

Previous Next Home